Monday, December 14, 2009

Is it harder to make friends after you turn 40?




Is it harder for us to make and keep friends after we turn 40? Friendship may or may not be harder after 35; however, the world we live in doesn’t make it happen as organically as it did when we were younger or even 20 years ago. We change and our outlook on life changes right along with us. Young and carefree and now some what settled and set in our ways. So it may take some work to make and maintain friendships. Once being the social butterfly and having people around me all the time and now since getting hurt ~~ I may have 5 friends. Real friends. Friends that "get it" if I just want to be left alone for a spell. They don't get all offended if I say, "I just really need some me time."

I think that it is really important to know what you want from a friend. I want my friend young in the friendship; or older friend to treat me with the same care and respect that I give them. That is the role I expect them to fill.


We all have and need different kinds of friends; like:
mentor
nurturer
activity buddy
confidant
work buddy
old friend; etc.

There are many many types of friends; so don’t let yourself be locked into these examples. However, try to find 5 different types of friends for your inner circle. They really help make your life more complete. The circle is whole and healthy.

No matter how old we get or how much we have changed ~~ Don’t wait for an invitation. Get looking and make friends. Don't settle on friendships that aren’t functioning well. Lonely people deserve good fellowship too. If you love yourself and enjoy your life even when alone; then you can build friendships that are working. Why stress? Others are looking for the same thing ~~ peace and a relaxing communication.

Manage your friendships ~~ Friendships change. Manage them effectively and they will be wonderful for your health, support and wellbeing. People may move in an out of your inner circle because of many different reasons. However, if you deal with them in an effective way the relationship will become win – win. Then everyone is happy. Again 5 good friends is better than having a whole tribe of them and never talking because you are over extended.
Don’t forget; give friendships a chance to bloom. Sometimes it takes more than one contact for a relationship to develop.

Also, communication is very import; most women have exceptional verbal skills; but, listening skills are the hardest to master. Hard to remember that God in all His wisdom gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. LOL ~~ ask me! I forget that sometimes. Imagine that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment